Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Google Talk - now with people actually online

Google is adding a new chat feature to Gmail, which is essentially a web-based version of Google Talk. While using Gmail people will (supposedly) optionally show up as being online. Any chatting done through this interface can also be searched in Gmail.

I'm interested in seeing how many people actually start using this. I have many friends who use Gmail but none of them use Google Talk.

read more | digg story

Update (Feb 14):
I've had this feature for almost a week now and I must say it is very slick. It is fast, efficient, and has not interfered with any of my regular Gmail usage. Having all my conversations archived in one place, regardless of which computer I used, is one of the most useful features I've ever seen in any IM application.

2 comments:

StoneWolf said...

Wow, people are already contacting me with that feature. Too bad no one stays in their inbox long enough for me to reply.

Anonymous said...

I like it so far. It lets me talk to you when I'm not able to use MSN. Though I'm not sure how fast/good the uptake will be in terms of # of users.