Saturday, February 18, 2006

New DVDs already sparking copy-protection confusion | CNET News.com

New DVDs already sparking copy-protection confusion | CNET News.com

By what I've gathered about these next-generation DVD formats, I'll need to do the following to play them at full resolution:

To watch on TV:
- Buy a new TV, ensuring that it has all the proper inputs and outputs. Low-end HD TV's may not meet this criteria.
- Buy a HD-DVD or Blu-Ray player that costs more than my laptop did. Oh, and I'll only be able to play 1 of the 2 formats.

To watch on a PC:
- Buy new monitor. None of the current ones are compatible.
- Buy new video card. Again, none of the current ones are compatible.
- Buy new operating system since only Windows Vista will be supported. Linux gets no love. I am assuming that Mac OS X will be supported eventually.

Personally, I'm not looking forward to the next generation of DVD formats. I already had enough problems getting the current generation to work the way I wanted. Besides, I don't even watch very many movies as it is. A ninja has better things to spend his money on, such as diamond-tipped shurikens and every new iPod that comes out.

No comments: