Tuesday, February 15, 2005

Knoppix Revisited

Mandrake appears to have developed an annoying little quirk where KDE applications (including Konsole) will not launch upon initial login. Logging out and logging in again is a workaround for this, but is extremely annoying.

On the other hand, Knoppix is running perfectly right now. The display is now working properly in 1400x1050 (thanks to some so-called "Cheat Codes") and wireless works. Now I'm thinking of trying Debian, which is the distro that Knoppix is based off of.

EDIT:
I tried Knoppix's "experimental" Linux 2.6 kernel and it won't pickup my Lexar Jumpdrive! It's a shame because that's where I store my persistent /home directory and settings. I have two options: keep using the stable 2.4 kernel (and lose my advanced power-saving controls), or use 2.6 and move my /home onto one of my hard drive partitions. I think I will stick with 2.4 for now since I don't know if 2.6 has additional issues.

No comments: